I started this blog because I’ve come into a time in my life where I like looking put together. Where everyday doesn’t have to be fancy, but it’s nice to look nice. This puts me in a difficult spot when I don’t feel like picking out an outfit at all. Like when jammies sound like the most appealing thing to wear. So I look into my closet and brainstorm, thinking what checks the boxes of comfy and put together? This is when I realized that maybe my uniform this spring/summer will be casual top, skirt, and white Converse. I’m a little obsessed with this combination right now because it gives you so many options, but no heel or wedges required. And then you’re playful and put together. And everyone is like aw, you’re so cute, and you’re like, I know. Congrats, you’re the cutest thing this summer. I just gave you that.
I am a guilty of falling back on the yellow/navy combo all the time. It always matches, it always looks good, and they’re both great colors. But I wanted to figure out something different for this skirt. This skirt, which made its appearance in one of my first posts ever. I look to Pinterest a lot for outfit inspiration and seeing a green and yellow mix gave me that *outfit lightbulb* moment. Or more like a *duh* moment. Of course they go together!!
I loved the yellow and green together, especially in this gorgeous meadow we found recently while we were out of town.
Yellow and green may not immediately come to mind as the matching combo of your next outfit, and Nutella and orange probably isn’t on your mind for your next flavor combo either….or is it??
After making this cake for my holiday party it was clear that orange with any chocolate incarnation would be a homerun. I proved myself right with these Orange and Nutella Handpies. There are so many of us that probably eat Nutella out of the jar, but separate yourself from the spoon for a minute and make these. Ugh I love the flaky crust, the chocolate and orange glaze drizzle on top. I would never dare call them Poptarts because the crust isn’t the same, but that shouldn’t stop you from making them for breakfast.
Nutella & Orange Handpies
Write a review
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and sliced
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten, for wash
For the Filling
- 1/2 jar Nutella
- zest from 1 orange
For the Drizzle
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- Juice from 1/2 orange
For the Crust
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt
- Add in sliced, cold butter and pulse on low until small beads of butter are throughout
- Slowly pour in water and pulse a few times until dough begins to come together
- Dump out dough on floured surface and knead dough together
- Pat into a disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap
- Chill for 1 hour, but up to 2 days
- Allow crust to sit out for a few minutes until pliable
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Roll dough out into rectangle close to 12"x15"
- Slice into 8 equal squares
- Mix filling ingredients together and place in the center of 4 of the squares
- Poke holes down the center of 4 squares without filling and place on top of the 4 squares with the filling
- Brush each with egg wash and use a fork to press edges together
- Transfer to baking sheet and bake 17-20 minutes, until golden brown
- Allow to cool before applying drizzle
For the Drizzle
- In one bowl melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30 seconds bursts, stirring after each 30 seconds, to allow it to melt more
- In a separate bowl, mix a little orange juice at a time in with the confectioners until a thick glaze is formed
- Drizzle chocolate and orange glaze over handpies and enjoy
- *These can be enjoyed warm or room temperature
- *Keep in airtight container
Domestic B(i)atch http://domesticbatch.com/